Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What Caffeine is all about


In the heart of Historic Downtown Gastonia and down a short flight of stairs, you will find GasPump Coffee Co. I was gravitated to the smell of fresh local coffee being brewed up by owner/operator Ella Childe. Almost transformed, I was feeling more awake with each step down to the sub-basement establishment.

I'm a huge fan of popular coffee houses as many of you already know. However, I'm a huge supporter of buying local when I can. GasPump is a gem to our revitalizing local community. Just as the coffee vapors invigorate my blood, so too does establishments like this one to our historic district. The beat of hammers and construction equipment surrounding Main Ave. let me know just how much our community is finding new purpose. GasPump Coffee Co. is in the center of it all. Situated just behind GasPump lies another piece of our Gaston County history - the empty shell of one of Gaston's largest Southern textile manufacturing plants. I can feel this rich history in the original brick walls and tile floors lining this coffee house.

I can't go into any establishment, let alone a coffee house, without striking up a conversation with the people around me. I was fortunate to have owner Ella Childe there to talk with. Like the same old story, she and her husband are transplants like me. We have a common love of dogs (of course - I find all the animal lovers like a magnet). We also have a great vision and passion for what our Gaston County community will become. Like Cramerton's town motto states that we have: Pride in our past. Faith in our future. If you need your morning fix, visit the good folks at GasPump Coffee Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment