Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Perfect Fit

How should you decide what type of dog is right for you? What kind of dog is a perfect fit for you and your family? I have spoken with many people over the years, and I have asked this very question. I receive responses such as:
  • I grew up with this breed.
  • I researched the breed.
  • I saw him/her at the adoption event and fell in love.
  • The dog spoke to me and I knew I had to have him/her.
  • I don't know. Ask my wife!
I recently attended the Mount Holly, NC hearing on the banning of Pit Bull types of breeds from the city. Having handled so many breeds over the years I can say that Pit Bulls receive a bad perception by many. I feel that there is a real reason for this too. In the case of the Pit Bull, a non-specific mix of breeds, people typically own them simply so that they can say they own one not realizing the amount of responsibility, training, exercise and effort this terrier based breed requires in order for the dog to be happy, balanced, and sociable. In the hands of the wrong person, a Pit can be trained to be aggressive and dangerous to society.


I pictured Sarah Nell, my German Shorthaired Pointer - a 70 pound dog mind you - coming out of a crate suitable for a puppy. It's a great picture. How in the world she squeezed herself into that crate is beyond me. Sometimes, this is exactly what we expect out of our pets as humans. Guilty as charged, I treat animals like my children. I place human traits onto them and speak to them on a regular basis. The point of the matter is that I try to keep in mind that each of the breeds I've handled in my life require a specific set of rules, boundaries, limitations and training tactics so that they are balanced as a breed. Dogs cannot be merely placed in our homes without any expectations, rules, boundaries, exercise, and mental foundation. The result of failing to provide these things to ANY breed creates an animal that is destructive, hyper, and dangerous.


When I go to a dog park, my first instinct is to watch the behaviors of the dogs within the park. Some dogs' energy levels are too much for another dog within the park. What can erupt is too hard rough housing and sometimes a fight. I have seen people bitten and dogs bloodied in the process. None of these dogs were Pit Bulls. The offending dogs are probably angels at home, but not in a social environment with other dogs. Sadly, this is the fault of the human owners - not the dogs. Lack of socialization, training, and structure causes theses these bad behaviors. It can happen with any breed on multiple levels. Left unchecked by humans, this creates a ticking time bomb for not only the world around the owner/pet, but also to the owner themselves.


Breed Specific Legislation will never solve the errs of humans. If we leave our pets, our furry family, in a home with no training, no exercise, no place to run, no socialization training, and no understanding of the breed(s) mental structure and instincts, then aren't we asking our 70 pound dog to fit into a crate only big enough for a 15 pound puppy?


My response to you when thinking about getting a dog is this: take the time to read up on the breed and what specific responsibilities the breed(s) require. Terriers for example need a great amount energy released. They are a working breed. If their mind isn't focused on contributing to a task or job, the energy will need to be released somehow. A trip to the dog park is not the right answer for this. It must be focused training to work out the mental stimulation the dog requires. The dog park and play time are post training rewards after both physical and mental stimulation. Teach your dog how to walk/run on a treadmill or heel along side of a bike. Then proceed with a formal training session. Lastly, take him/her to the dog park or a run outside as the reward.


Lastly, not every training technique will work with your specific breed. I mention this because of the amounts of publicity TV celebrity dog trainers receive. We as owners must remain committed to carrying out the training in its fullest. It is up to you to find the method and the trainer that has the best response with your dog. Dog psychology varies with each breed. When dealing with a mix, like a Pit Bull or another cuddly rescue we see at the shelter, the psychology can become more complex then what we are capable of working with. Don't give up. Seek help from a professional. Create the rules. Be consistent. I guarantee your dog will be healthy, happy and balanced.


COLOR THEIR WORLD - ADOPT!
-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment