Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Lawn Tracker - Page Two

What a Tim Allen moment! Future father-in-law pulls in, looks at my enormous pile of supplies and says, "Wow!" Oh yeah! See the picture on the left. This portion of the tracker is the continuation of the last. The first post started off at the Fall. I have made some adjustments based on what I saw over the year. Most notable was changing the type of seed to straight Kentucky 31. I used a Carolina blend the last time. I got some weird flowering weeds in the Carolina blend.

I started September 1. The summer temps backed off early. The rains were good timing too. This is earlier in the season than the last time. I used four bags of Kentucky 31, six bags of lime and three bags of 10-10-10. I used no lime this time last year. This is the second time I've added lime. On a hunch, my soil/clay isn't suited for fescue.

I cut the grass low one week before. This allowed the grass cuttings time to mulch in. My spreader was set at half way for the lime and the fertilizer. My spreader number is 15. I wanted to go heavy seed this time. I went up to 20 on my spreader for the seed. I went over the areas that looked like it needed more help with a secord or third pass with the spreader.

When it was all done, I got lucky. It started raining moderately for an hour or more. For a good yard, I'm coming to the belief that I have to be a weather person to a degree. My company has one on staff that predicted a cooler end of summer. It hasn't been anywhere close to the century mark. It was 93 on the day I seeded, but the temps have dropped to upper 80s to 90° with rain. I downloaded the weather underground app. It's a huge help.

Based on these results, my goal is to take care of weeds early Spring and lime again. I have considered using a weed and feed instead. In every article/blog/online source, it sounds like crab grass takes about 7 years to control thanks to the germination cycle. Once I see how the new seed takes off in those areas, I'll make a better judgement on the product.

How's your lawn? Are my pains in the yard helping? What do you do? Comment below :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment