Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Lawn Tracker - Year One

One of my favorite things to do is sit outside with my Java and admire the birds, the trees, my craptastic lawn.. An acre and a half of a mix of every weed known to man with some beautiful patches in between. This lawn hasn't seen an aerator or fertilizer in at least eight years. I decided to create the lawn tracker for myself based on a twice a year program. I'm no guru on the subject - this is merely a way to look back and say this worked and that didn't. I also realize that I'm not alone. Perhaps through comments we can track our successes together and enjoy that perfect cup of Joe to the fullest.

Fall 2011
• Rented aerator from Mt. Holly Farm Supply (MHFS)
• Purchased 3 huge sacks of Fescue, 3 bags of Green Charger
• Two weeks into October (warm winter ahead) aerated and spread the above
• Settings for the pull behind spreader was half way open for both

Spring 2012
• Purchased six bags of pre-emergent and six bags of lime from MHFS
• Spreader set half way last week of February
• Cut the grass two weeks later
• Normal cutting - mower deck set one setting lower than half (Bolens)
• Hand spread Pennington advanced seed to fix Mr. 704's pee spots

Year One Results
• Pennington seed worked so-so.
• Crab grass has a long way to go to get rid of
• Different species of grass causing different shades of green
• Opt to weed and feed after pre-emergent next Spring?
• Lime twice a year with Green Charger due to high acidity in the soil?

I welcome your comments below to adjust Fall 2012's prescriptive program!


No comments:

Post a Comment