Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mine That Bird

In 2009, a relatively unknown horse by the name of "Mine That Bird," a 50:1 long shot, came from dead last in the pack to win the Kentucky Derby. Even the announcers were stunned and can't form their words correctly to describe what is unfolding before their eyes. Relive the race:
The lesson was taught into me over years of trial and failure that I always need to remain optimistic. I'm the first to admit to you that after denial and failure perceived and/or real for a long period of time, it is so easy to slip into a fatalistic mindset. This isn't depression - this is normal. After years of no hope and failure to achieve my dreams, I became numb with the idea that life was always going to be worthless. This had the potential to cause reckless behavior. It was only until I had someone ask me, "Why can't you go back to college?" did that revitalizing emotion come back that I should envision success. It was only until I became a life long learner willing to ask others for help and direction did my life improve. Most importantly, I took every suggestion that was given to me. I was worth it. I moved out of Florida to North Carolina. This is huge to someone willing to simply be content with nothing. I achieved my mini goals. Above all else - Courage, courage and more courage. Never give up. Take action. I became most convinced that I needed no one for my emotional happiness except for my love affair of dogs. That is one connection I may never break my emotional dependence on. I would have never arrived at this state without going through all of that and my darkest day, hour and moment. Even today I look for the next success. It's a life long journey. If it all ended today, I could say, "You know what? I did pretty damn good."

No comments:

Post a Comment